Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fruit of Our Labors (or lack thereof)

Okay, so we have been cleaning up a bit around the house and in the yard preparing for Rachel's baby blessing on Sunday (which I hope you are all planning on attending!). Well, today, Justin was cleaning out the 33' by 36' area where we attempted our first garden. We planted onions first, which ended up maybe doubling in size from the bulbs we planted. We planted everything else in May, right before that 90 degree weekend. We had not had a chance to get the watering set up properly and almost everything we planted shrivelled up and died. After I had Rachel, I couldn't get out to the garden to weed (didn't really weed much before either ;) so the weeds completely took over the garden area. We had put up some fence sections to keep Holy Moe (the horse) from eating our "wonderful" veggies, so when I say completely took over the garden, I mean it. Anyway, as Justin was cleaning that area and removing the "tree weeds" as he called them, he made me come over and see what he had found! Two full size tomatoes, about a dozen baby tomatoes, and a mini zucccini (about 4 inches long)!!! Can you believe it?!?! I was laughing my head off. And here we thought we had completely BOMBED our first ever attempt at a garden. Go figure!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Ha! That is awesome! My garden went to pot last year, so the baby excuse is good and real. I can't even imagine a baby and three other little ones! You are amazing!

Julie said...

Love it!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Hey, that sounds like it would make a good RS or Young Women's lesson. :)

Aimee said...

That sounds like our garden. Between baseball, scout camp and the travels of Jim and I, our garden was not a huge success this year. Well, there's always next year!