Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sleepy Heads and Happy Hearts

Last night, all of us went to a "Birthday Party" for Justin's friend Aaron that passed away last fall. His wife, Leslie, had thrown him a surprise party every year they were married and she didn't want to miss out this year. We tried a few weeks ago to get together, but Leslie had had a really tough day and decided to postpone. Well, last night, Justin and I and 4 or 5 of Aaron's closest friends, including his brother and his wife, met at Aaron and Leslie's house in Lehi. There was nothing in particular planned, but the night was a huge success.

We sat around for a few hours talking about Aaron and all the fun memories we had with him. Then, before most everyone left, Leslie showed a couple of videos they had taken on some trips and at their wedding dinner. It was really an enjoyable night.

The kids got to play with their friend Aaron Jr. and had a total blast! We didn't end up leaving until about 2 am. Bo fell asleep in his carseat about 30 seconds after I put him in it at 1:30. The girls were asleep before we even hit the freeway. When Justin and I arrived home at 3:00, we pulled into the driveway and realized that the truck was still at the train station where he had left it that morning on the way to work. So, we had to go back and get it because they ticket cars that are left overnight. So, we didn't actually get to bed until 3:30.

I am so grateful to Leslie for hosting this wonderful night. Although I didn't know Aaron as well as his friends from high school, I really had a love for him. He was always there to help anyone in need. If he saw something that needed to be done, he did it. After sitting with Leslie 'till the wee hours of the morning, I had a greater appreciation for the loved ones in my life. The biggest thing she has taught me over the past 6 months since Aaron passed away, is that you shouldn't take anyone for granted. You just never know when they will be gone. She has said multiple times that she wishes she would have not worried about the little things that bothered her, and focused more on the amazing list of good things about Aaron. I know that in my life, I have definately been frustrated by Justin and the kids at times. You know, when you find clothes laying around everywhere or dishes crusted in the sink (next to an empty dishwasher), see toys laying about the house and, of course, stepping on one. All of those things are so trivial. After talking to Leslie and hearing everything she has been going through, I can only think that she would love to find one of Aaron's stained painted on shirts laying on the floor in front of the laundry basket again. Something so trivial when he was here but so ached for since he has gone. So anyway, after last night, I am going to try harder to show my love and appreciation for my family. I want to live so that IF something terrible like this ever happened to our family, Justin and the kids and all of my family would know beyond a shadow of a doubt how much I LOVE THEM!!!

I know that through the generous mercy of our Father in Heaven that Leslie and Aaron will be together again. I know that Justin will get to go horseback riding and camping with him again. I also know that with time, Leslie will be able to make it through this tragedy, but only with the help of our Savior Jesus Christ. I want all of my family to know that I love them with everything that is in me. My favorite part about this gospel is the knowledge that we will be together again forever. The loved ones that I have lost will be waiting for me and I look forward to that day of joyous reunion.

Leslie, THANK YOU so much for last night. You are amazing! I hope that last night was a helpful step on your way to healing. I know it helped us. WE ALL LOVE YOU!

*****

Here are a few pictures we had from our trips to Moab with Aaron and Leslie.


Here we are in the motel room that Aaron insisted we stay in after we showed up at the campground and they had reserved a spot for us...right next to the bathrooms! Yuck!!!


We took the Horses down on our first trip and got some great pictures of everyone riding them, except me, of course. I was 7 months pregnant with Allison!


Aaron and Leslie on our hike up to Delicate Arch.


Aaron and Leslie under the arch.


This one isn't in Moab, but at Fat Cats in Salt Lake. They came to a baby shower held for Justin and me before Marianne Was born.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

besides the fact that there were a couple of photos in there that were somewhat unflattering of me... this was a very sweet and thoughtful post. thank you joann. i forgive you for the unflattering photos... because the one at fat cats i had never seen before and it is a great shot of aaron.
last night was great. it was really neat hearing more stories about aaron that i didn't know... and it was good to laugh. it is hard not to laugh when stories are being shared about aaron. he did such funny things.
anyhow, thank you all for coming and again... i am SO sorry for keeping you guys out so late.
love you guys.